Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Wii Still Cool

It is true that my girlfriend, a few friends, and I (as well as 30 or so others) waited for 24 hours inside a Wal-Mart to get our Wiis way back on launch day. I, like most early Wii buyers, had a great time intially and (just as I had hoped) the console turned out to be a great multiplayer experience. In the past few months, however, I haven't had a whole lot of time to play video games because I've been fairly busy with school. Without people around all the time to play Wii Sports, Raving Rabbids, and Warioware the Wii has been seldom used, I have to admit.

I have Twilight Princess but I am holding firm on my promise to beat the 'main' Zelda games leading up to it before I pop it in. As a sidenote on that, I am about 3/4 of the way through Majora's Mask (a decent game, if only people didn't judge it by the first relatively lame bit) and about the same way into Minish Cap, which is great. So, I have to beat the rest of Majora and then play Windwaker from start to finish.

Back to the Wii pickle, I recently picked up Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and, I have to say, it is a ton of fun and has me playing the Wii solo again. Despite that some reviewers, GameSpot in particular, were rather harsh on it I can assure everyone that the game is fantastic. GameSpot summed the game in this sentence: "burdened by clumsy controls and predictable artificial intelligence, Tenkaichi 2 is a game that can be loved only by forgiving DBZ fans". Fortunately for Wii owners skeptical about the majority of titles out right now I'd like to let everyone know that I am not a big fan of fighters or Dragon Ball but this game manages to hold my attention easily. First of all, it has 120 characters (!) and manages to mix button-mashing and motion controls quite fluidly into an excellent (and extremely intense and fast-paced) fighter. The battles aren't your typical 'from the side' type (e.g. old Mortal Kombat) fare, rather, you fly around in a relatively large, semi-destructible 3D environment as you battle, which is an interesting twist on the sometimes stagnant genre. So far I really enjoy progressing through the lengthy story mode and upgrading my characters along the way, too. You can't go wrong throwing some "RPG" elements into an already fun fighter : )

In short, if you can, pick this game up for $18.98 (at Real Canadian Superstore a.k.a. Atlantic Superstore). Otherwise, take your $60.00 dollars to your local EB and bend over.

Just kidding, never pay the full price for games. Contact me and I'll help you scam them somehow, folks.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home